Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Jekyll & Hyde

I had a great weekend with Angel babe. The zoo was fantastic and we saw the new cheetah cubs. They were running around the yards and wrestling with each other, it so adorable. Easily one of my all-time best visits to the zoo. I'll try to post some pictures later this week. While at the zoo we ran into a family that goes to Angel's preschool and hung out with them for the rest of the time at the zoo and then met them and another little boy and his mom at the park later and then over to the family’s house to cool off on the slip and slide and eat pizza. We never do stuff like this. None of our friends have kids and I am a good 5-10 years younger than all of the other parents at Angel’s preschool, so I haven’t really bonded with other parents. Darling fiancé and I have talked about this a lot and are going to make a huge effort once we move to Buffalo to change this. I think it will be fairly easy since I have already connected with some fellow law students that are parents, so we’ll be in the same situation together.

We had a good time, but there were a few rough moments—see one of the other boys is pretty aggressive. I know that the parents are trying hard to cope but feel very badly that their son is the “bad kid,” they are always getting bad reports from school, he was kicked out of a previous day care and they are always having conferences with the teachers. He really isn’t that bad, just a bit hyper and aggressive. I think that the teachers have labeled him in their minds as a “problem,” so they tend to over-react to his behavior. I try to reassure them that he isn’t that bad and that Angel is just as rambunctious some of the time. But the weird thing was as soon as we started hanging out with this other family my son turned into the perfect child. All day we were with these two other boys and he listened to everything I said, didn’t hit back when he was pushed, used his best manners and didn’t melt into a puddle of tears when I responded “no” to one of his requests. It was wonderful; the other boys had multiple time-outs but not my perfect child. Unbelievable. But it was short-lived. As soon as we were alone again the whining came back. I know this is my own fault. As a child I was wonderfully behaved in public and at school but a terror at home. All in all, I prefer it this way rather than the reverse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home